5 Tips to Make Your 2023 Email Campaign Successful
Experts forecast that over 4.3 billion people are using email today.
That’s more than half the world’s population, which means it’s more important than ever that you know how to run a successful email campaign.
To help you do that, we’ve compiled a list of our top 5 tips to make your next email campaign in 2023 a success.
So let’s get started with our first tip:
1. Use an Email Validation Tool
Validating the emails on your list is a must if you want your email campaigns to succeed.
In short, an email validation tool is a software solution that uses real-time and pre-set rules to check that the email addresses on your list are valid.
According to Jupiter research, as much as 20% of email registrations contain typos, syntax issues, and other errors. Some of these emails may even be unsafe.
But by using an email validation tool, you can trash these addresses and boost the success of your email campaign by:
- Increasing your deliverability rate. By making sure your emails are being sent to valid addresses, your deliverability rate will increase, and your bounce rate will decrease. This is essential for improving your sender reputation and preventing your emails from being sent to the spam folder.
- Avoiding harmful addresses. Another way email validation tools can save you from the spam folder is by removing spam traps and other harmful emails from your list. If these addresses are on your list, and you unknowingly send emails to them, you could be blacklisted as a spammer, tanking your deliverability.
- Saving you money. If you have a large list, maintaining it can be expensive. But by removing invalid email addresses from your list, you could save potentially tens of thousands of dollars a year.
2. Segment Your Email List
Targeting your emails to specific groups of people with shared characteristics is a powerful way to increase your campaign’s engagement.
Mailchimp reports that segmented campaigns get 14.3% more opens and 64.7% more clicks than non-segmented campaigns.
In addition, data from the DMA indicates that segmented campaigns are responsible for a whopping 58% of all email revenue.
So, how do you segment your list to increase your campaign’s engagement and revenue?
One of the most common methods is to segment by demographics, for instance, age, gender, and location.
If you have more data about your subscribers, you can also segment them according to their interests. For example, if you run a food blog, you can create segments for people who are vegan or those who eat gluten-free food.
Another great way to segment your list is via purchase history so that when they buy from you, you can then recommend something similar they might like.
3. Grab Attention—or Be Ignored
People receive 120 emails per day on average.
With so many emails flooding into your subscribers’ inboxes, your emails need to capture their attention if they’re going to be opened.
Fortunately, it’s easier than you might think to grab attention with your emails, and it all comes down to how you write your subject lines.
Powerful subject lines that grab your subscribers’ attention are:
Marketo discovered in a fascinating study that seven words are the sweet spot for the length of email subject lines.
Why do subject lines with only seven words work so well?
It’s likely because seven-word subject lines are easier for readers to digest. Not only that, but over 60% of email opens come from people using mobile devices, where small screen sizes mean longer subject lines can easily get cut off.
2. Relevant to Your Readers’ Interests
You want to make sure that your subject lines are relevant to what your readers’ subscribed for in the first place.
You already know what they want. The best way to catch their attention is to keep giving them more of what they want.
If you run an investment newsletter, for example, your subscribers are going to want more stock tips that make them money. Not general news they can find elsewhere on CNBC.
3. Offer a Benefit
People love to know what’s in it for them.
There’s no better way to get a reader to open your emails than to offer a benefit in the subject line.
For example, if you own a site in the productivity niche, a good benefit-driven subject line would be something like: “Simple trick doubles your productivity in minutes”.
4. Use a responsive email template
As mentioned, over half of all emails are opened using mobile devices.
That means it’s important that your emails are responsive—in other words, they can automatically adapt to any screen size.
You can easily make your emails responsive by using a responsive template.
As data from Mailchimp shows, using responsive templates can increase click-through rates by as much as 15%.
5. Optimize, Optimize, Optimize!
If you want your next email campaign to be a success in 2023, then you need to tap into the power of email optimization.
Email optimization simply means concerted effort to improve your emails’ deliverability, engagement, and conversion rates.
There are many ways that you can do this, including:
- A/B testing, which means testing different versions of a single email to see how the changes affect your results. Most marketing platforms make this easy, allowing you to test the impact of many different kinds of variables, including subject lines, email content, and send times.
- Analyzing your click-through rates. By comparing the number of clicks your call to action gets in comparison to the number of impressions it receives, you can better understand what works and what doesn’t when emailing your subscribers.
The more effort you put into optimizing your emails, the more likely your future campaigns are to succeed.
There are 5 things you can do in 2023 to make your email campaign successful:
- Use an email validation tool to instantly improve your campaign’s deliverability.
- Segment your email list for more opens and clicks.
- Grab attention with powerful subject lines.
- Improve your emails for mobile users with responsive templates.
- Optimize your emails for better deliverability, engagement, and conversions.
Each of these things are easy to do, but also crucial for any successful email campaign.
But it all starts with making sure the emails on your list are valid—else you’ll risk harming your sender reputation and having your emails sent straight to the spam folder.
To try out the EmailOversight email validation tool for free, simply click here to get started.