8 Ways to Segment Your Email Lists
Every email marketer knows, the path to profits involves good list segmentation. Here are 10 easy ways to segment your list for maximum response, revenue and profit. Plus, we’ll show you the easiest way to do it!
- Email Engagement: The simplest segmentation is based on engagement. Subscriber who regularly open and click-through your emails should be put on their own list. Low engaged subscribers should be segmented and reengaged.
- Demographics: segmenting lists by age, gender, income and professional position can help you target the proper offer to the proper people. A 70 year old doctor has different wants than an 18 year old college student. And your offers should match their wants.
- Personal Interests: By knowing the personal interests of the people on your list, you can segment them and send offers that pertain to them. Personalized emails perform much better than mass email blasts. If you know what they like, you know what they’ll buy.
- Quiz results: Offering a quiz to subscribers can reveal a lot of data about them. By segmenting the subscribers by quiz or poll answers, you can send targeted offers based upon their answers. A simple yes/no poll can reveal your subscribers underlying product desires.
- Geography: Segmenting by geo-location is especially important for email marketers who send offers that are geo-specific. Offers for a local grocer should be sent only to subscribers in the offer’s geo. Outside geo offers will only cause confused subscribers and potential complaints.
- Funnel Position: As new subscribers join your list, and older subscribers move down the funnel, it’s important to remember to segment. You don’t want a welcome letter sent to a long time subscriber. You don’t want a back-end offer sent to a subscriber who was never “welcomed.”
- Purchase History: Knowing the purchase history of your subscribers allows you to segment them by product types, purchase dates and price points. If they’ve purchased products that expire, you know when to send the next offer, and at what price point.
- Website behavior: Track user behavior on your websites. This will allow you to segment lists by which pages your users spend most of their time on. Pages with content about certain products will give you great insights into which subscribers should be sent those types of offers.
What’s the easiest way to gather this data about your subscribers?
EmailOversight’s Email Activity data tool offers email marketers the simplest way to dissect the data they have hidden within their email lists. And it’s easy. With EmailOversight, you’ll be able to turn the daunting task of list segmentation into an automatic process… and you’ll see the results almost immediately!